Good morning,

I need some "bathroom advice."  My boy Porter, 7.5
months, has only gone outside with either myself or my
husband.  He has never been outside alone because we
didn't have a properly fenced area.  We live on a
large farm & our breeder told us "oh no, you don't
need a fence on a farm, these dogs are extremely
territorial & will NOT leave your yard."  Stupid me, I
wanted to believe her, but could not bring myself to
even try leaving Porter outside alone ... the road is
right there and it only takes one time. So, we finally
get a large fence installed in the back yard (about
250 sq feet) for Porter .  After months of waiting for
my husband to build one (he insists on doing all the
work here by himself) I finally told him "enough, I'm
calling someone."  The fence was finished on Tuesday.
Anyways, here's my dilemma ... Porter absolutely LOVES
"his" yard, but will not use it as a bathroom!  It
doesn't seem to matter how bad he has to go or how
long I wait him out, he will not soil his yard.  The
past few mornings (when he really had to go bad) I put
him out there & after playing around a little, he
stood at the gate whimpering.  I waited, the
whimpering got worse until it was a full-fledged howl
... I caved (after about 30 minutes of howling),
opened the gate & he promptly did his business.  He
was out there for pretty much the entire afternoon
yesterday ... only peed when I went out to bring him
in (outside of the yard).  Any suggestions on how to
get him to go in "his" yard.  Maybe I should just
ignore him, he'll have to go eventually, but I felt so
bad, it sounded like someone was torturing him!

Any and all advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

=====
Jennifer Martyn
Conn, Ontario, Canada