I have been warned by my vet that my female pup would face a higher rate
of health problems if we decide not to spayed her just prior to her
reaching six months, before her first heat. I am not familiar with the
research she is talking about however I have read that  berners are, in
general, at a higher risk of some cancers than other breeds, one in five
berners developing cancer during their life.
Based on her excellent health history, her father's awards and beautiful
markings, we were considering showing/breeding her but our main interest
is having her live a long healthy life.
Obviously, procreation is important for the survival of the breed. Are
female dogs really at risk of shorter life spans if they are not spayed?

Terry Bering, Chicago