Hi Terry,

In reverse order...

> Are female dogs really at risk of shorter life spans if they are not spayed?

Here are the average age at death stats (in months) from the 2000 BMD heath
survey:

FEMALES
Total:  142  Average age 91.58
Neutered: 105 Average age 101.77
Intact:  34 Average age 67.21
Bred:  60 Average age 98.52

Maybe Pat Long can clarify the numbers...

As far as when to spay, your vet is absolutely correct in suggesting a
medical reason to do so prior to the first heat.   Mammary cancer is a common
and deadly cancer in intact bitches affecting 24%-26% (all breed data) during
the course of their lives.  Spaying BEFORE the first heat cycle reduces the
risk to almost nothing...  This is old research, oft quoted in veterinary
articles, but I can't find the original data source online.  The figures used
are 96%-98% reduction in risk for bitches spayed prior to their 1st heat.
The risk reduction declines very sharply with each heat so that spaying after
the 3rd season has no affect on a bitch's risk of developing mammary cancer
during her lifetime.

Further, research shows that estrogen begins circulating in bitches long
before their first heat.  (Estrogen affects skeletal development in bitches)
Bitches spayed at 7 months vs 2 years show virtually no difference in
timeframe for closure of growth plates.  Studies also show no increase in
incontinence or obesity and no observable behavior differences for spayed
bitches.

>  Obviously, procreation is important for the survival of the breed.

There's procreation...and there's procreation. <g>
The future of Bernese...their health, longevity, temperament, and looks...
depend on *selective* procreation.  It's the breeding choices we make today
that will define the Bernese Mountain Dog of tomorrow.

> Based on her excellent health history, her father's awards and beautiful
>  markings, we were considering showing/breeding

After 10 years of being deeply involved with BMDs, I made the decision to
carry forth the genes of one of my dogs.  Here are some of the things I
considered in the process of making that decision (in no particular order):

The Basics:
Screening for the presence of hereditary diseases which he could pass on to
his puppies:

His hips and elbows were evaluated free of dysplasia by OFA at 2+ yrs of age.

His hips were evaluated for laxity using the PennHIP process.

His eyes are evaluated free of eye disease (annually) by a CERF exam (must be
done by a board certified ophthalmologist)

His heart was screened free of SAS and other anomolies by auscultation (by a
board certified cardiologist) at 1+ yr and by ultrasound at 4 yrs (prior to
breeding).

He was tested clear for von Willebrand's Disease by DNA (VetGen).

His DNA Profile was put on record with AKC (so parentage of progeny can be
verifyied)
Evaluation of conformation
(How close to the ideal BMD is this dog, in what respects does he excel and
in what aspects is he lacking)

He was shown to his AKC Championship by a novice handler (me).

He was evaluated sieger style by (3) judges, including one of the founding
members of the BMDCA, one BMD breeder, and one all breed judge.

He was evaluated by his breeder.

He was evaluated by other breeders with many years in the breed.

He was evaluated, mercilessly, by me...after I'd developed my eye by sitting
ringside at many national and regional specialties, attending several breed
presentations by the BMDCA Judge's Ed Chair, asking endless questions of
people with years in the breed, and re-reading, re-reading, re-reading the
standard throughout the years.

Breeder's who've inquired about using this dog at stud have been provided a
detailed, (3 pages) description of him, including both his strengths and his
weaknesses.
Evaluating temperament:

This dog has been put into all kinds of situations, beginning with a road
trip, hotel stay, and hundreds of people and dogs in his face when he was 9
weeks old (national specialty).

I think in terms of what people might want to do with his puppies...Can they
do therapy work? Draft work?  Will the puppy play cheeruflly with the kids in
the yard?  Will he go to soccer games... and not come unglued when people
cheer a goal?    Will the puppy learn what's expected of him easily and have
a desire to please his owner?

Is this dog adaptable and pleasure to live with, in any setting?  I'm always
aware of how he deals with a situation and evaluating whether his temperament
is one I'd like to pass on or not.

He earned his CD (AKC obedience title) in three straight trials,...at hectic,
cramped, noisy, indoor, all breed shows (lots of distractions <g>)...under
male judges.
That pretty well covers what you CAN see...ie: the dog's *phenotype*.  But in
breeding, what you CAN'T see, CAN hurt you...the puppies you produce... and
their owners.  So the next step is evaluating the dog's *genotype*...the
genetic 'package' he carries that you can't see.  But by doing research on
the dog's extended
family, you CAN get a glimpse at what he may be carrying (for bvetter or for
worse) in that genetic package.
Exploring the Genotype:

I contacted the owners of dogs in his pedigree going back through 4
generations to gather age and cause of death data.  (I already had complete
health screening information on the pedigree.)

I've networked my way to several owners of his sire's sibs and the breeders
of his sire (1 litter and out of the breed) to learn everything I could about
his sire, dam, and the litter...especially in maturity.

I spoke to the owner of his sire and other breeders who'd used him to learn
what he'd produced in terms of soundness, health, and temperament.

I'd gotten to know the breeder of his dam and her line over many years so was
already familiar with her family of dogs.

His sire was the product of (2) German dogs brought to the US so his breeder
(who bred & owned his dam) provided me with copies of the Zuchbucht pages and
notes from people who knew the dogs on the European side of the pedigree.

I reviewed BernerGarde records for familial information.

I ask questions...and more questions...continually trying to learn as much as
I can about dogs of similar ancestry.

Putting all of this together, I formulate a good idea (I hope) of what
positives and negatives he's more and less likely to produce.

I discuss everything I know about this 'package' with breeders interested in
using him.  I specifically ask about and discuss the 'package' their bitch
likely carries in terms of the areas in which he's weak.
Then, it's a matter of agreeing (or not) to stand him for a particular
breeder and bitch.

If a breeder hasn't done a full compliment of health screening on their
bitch...I won't deal with them.

If a breeder doesn't have a thorough understanding of their bitch's strengths
and weaknesses (both phenotypic and genotypic) and doesn't have an interest
in learning them...I won't deal with them.

If a breeder doesn't require health screening (hips, elbows & eyes) of all
their puppies, companion or show...I won't deal with them.

You mentioned awards of the sire ...

Awards are only of value when placed in a context.  You have to know the
dog...not his titles.  And, what of her dam?  Temperament is a combination of
heredity and environment...including early puppy teaching by the dam.  Is her
dam a confident dog, capable of going into a show situation and holding her
own physically and mentally?  Is she a good mother, instinctively taking care
of her pups?  Does she stand to be bred and free whelp?  These are things I'd
want to know were I considering a bitch for breeding.

...and her nice markings.

I have yet to rule a bitch in...or out...because of her markings.

> but our main interest is having her live a long healthy life.

There IS some risk involved in breeding...anyone who's done it for a while
will tell you about their bitch who bled out on section, or died of a
ruptured uterus, etc.  So when someone takes on the mantle of
breeding...they've put their bitch on the line for the sake of producing the
next generation.  IMO, that's a line you cross when you decide to breed your
bitch.  Crossing it's not for everyone....

~ Sherri Venditti