In a message dated 1/1/2003 6:13:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  1.  Fortunately we got her from the breeder already paper-trained.  There
>  are newspapers placed on the floors in strategic spots, and she was pretty
>  good for the first three weeks (we got her almost a month ago) but the last
>  week or so she's been ignoring the paper and going wherever she wants.
>  We've been trying to catch her doing it but these little guys are a bit too
>  fast for us.  How do we correct this?

If you're going to paper train, cover her entire area with papers so he has
no choice but to go on them.  Then remove the papers from one small area.
Slowly expand that uncovered area until it's down to what you want.

Personally, unless there's absolutely no alternative (in which case I'd
suggest not getting a puppy until circumstances change) I don't favor paper
training.  It seems to me counterproductive to first teach the puppy to
relieve herself in the house and then say no, I don't want you to go in the
house, I now want you to hold it and go outside.  Seems awfully confusing for
a pup...

>  2.  I'm sure this is a general puppy problem, but when she first sees us in
>  the morning she gets so excited she pees.  I'm guessing this is simply
>  because she's got a fairly small tank to begin with.  This morning however
>  it posed a problem as the naughty girl got up on the couch.  Pee on the
>  floor is one thing to deal with...

She hasn't yet learned anything about where to pee, where not to pee, nor
about using her muscles to hold her pee.  Add in the pee stimuli of waking
and excitement and you can bet money on a pee where ever she is at that
point.  In addition to the previous about anticipating her needs, etc... it's
a good idea to make your greetings low key and matter of fact.  That will
help to keep down her excitement and help prevent the habit of greeting by
peeing from forming.

>  3.  Boy, does this dog howl.  Is this something she'll grow out of?  I know
>  the breed is most happy with human presence but we obviously can't be there
>  for her 24/7

Howling is a sign of stress.  Certainly, neither we nor our dogs can go
through life without stress so I believe in slowly building the dog's
tolerance to stressful situations.  Being alone and apart from her
littermates, her breeder, and every smell she's known her whole life if VERY
stressful for a baby puppy.  I try to be considerate of that and reassure
them that there's nothing to fear, without reinforcing the fear by tacitly
acknowleding it with 'it's ok, it's ok' baby talk.  If my pup wakes up inthe
night and wails, I'll go very close to the crate...maybe put my fingers
through the grid... and talk to the pup...letting her know by my calm and
steady voice that she's not alone and there's nothing to fear.

>  4.  And about leaving her alone at night - does this breed get unhappy
about
>  staying out at night?

As you said, Bernese have a strong need to be with their people.  We each
work out our own way of meeting that need.

One caveat about leaving a Berner outside...
They are extremely heat intolerant.  I know people in areas of high heat and
humidity who own Bernese successfully...BUT, they do what's necessary to keep
them comfortable on a day in, day out, basis.  It requires a fair amount of
management to accomplish.  I also know of several berners lost to heat or
humidity in areas not known for it.  It can happen very quickly.

Well, I'm afraid I've probably been more general than specific, but I've
found that the general knowledge helps me a great deal in structuring my
daily life and that of my dogs in a mutually fulfilling way.  Please feel
free to continue a dialogue with specific questions, the berner-l has lots of
experience to offer.

~ Sherri Venditti