My berner pup has a chronic red eye (socket) condition. The vet and
breeder do not feel it is a problem. I noticed some berners, pups and
even adult dogs at a local berner event had the same condition. She has
to have her eyes wiped sometimes, especially after she wakes up. She
appears to have no vision problems or pain. The breeder said this can
occur early in the berner's life and it will eventually clear up. The
vet gave drops initially then told me to discontinue the eye drops when
she did not have her eye socket clear up. I am not overly concerned by
their mutual assessment but am curious if this is common with bern such
as a heredity problem? My puppy does not seem affected in any way other
than being bothered that my wife pay extra attention and  clean around
her eyes. Terry