As a prospective puppy owner, we are advised to join a local dog club to
learn about the breed and the Berner community. I have learned
that these reasons, though important, are only the tip of the iceberg.  A
dog club can offer so much more -- just persist and get past the
I-don't-know-anyone phase.

My Berner Buddy was entered in a cluster of shows this past November but
with no one to take him in the ring. I had been ill and
knew I would not be able to scamper around the ring so I called Carol
Lingley, a fellow club member. I didn't know her very well and asked her
(rather hesitantly) if she would like to show Buddy.  We met at Catoctin
Kennel twice before the show. I learned that this woman is not only generous
with her time and expertise, she is truly besotted with Berners -- any
Berner! Buddy was trotted, corrected, stacked, corrected, petted, corrected,
massaged, corrected and hugged.  Carol complimented me on Buddy's training,
his physical condition and his grooming.  This really means a lot to a
fumbling owner! She worked extensively with Buddy at the kennel, and I
worked on Buddy's grooming (after praying extensively). Off to the dog show
we went and the rest is history: 4 shows, 16 pts. and a Group 4 for icing on
the cake.

For all you Prospective Puppy Owners and new puppy owners, join your local
dog club!  If you join a dog club, yes, you will learn about the breed.
Yes, you will learn about the Berner community.  But I also learned
something else a dog club can offer:  a circle of friends who support you,
who truly understand what owning a Berner means, who listen when you panic,
celebrate or grieve, who ignore slobbered clothes and cars bristling with
Berner fur, who share without hesitation....the list is as endless as you
care to make it. Volunteer and your circle of friends will become
ever-widening. Volunteer at a National Specialty and have the time of your
life!

Maria Crifasi
happy member of the Potomac Valley BMD Club