Sisco doesn't suckle in his sleep but does suckle, a lot, numerous times per day even, using his stuffed fleece bear as a surrogate "mummy". Whenever he comes home from a walk, or after being out for a while, he runs straight for his bed where "mummy" is waiting for him. He grabs her, shakes her a few times, flips her around until her head is facing to his right, lies down and wraps his paws around her, and proceeds to suckle on her head for 10 - 15 minutes, sometimes accompanied by little moans &/or whimpers. This is a three year old 115 pound unaltered stud dog we're talking about here. After a few days, "mummy's" head gets so saturated with drool that she becomes heavier and heavier until she gets the old heave-ho into the washer. We have two or three "mummies" on the go at any one time so he's always got one to work on while the others are in the wash.

When Sisco's litter was born, their mother was very sick and unable to nurse them, so our breeder found a willing GSD who had just weaned a litter and was willing to take on another. While she was willing to nurse them, she didn't want to spend too much time with them just being a mummy to them, so we figure that maybe somewhere in Sisco's little psyche is an unsatisfied need for mothering. Anyway, it's hilarious to watch him in full "mummy mode". He obviously gets a lot of comfort out of it.

Fran & Sisco (aw, mom, d'ya haf ta tell everyone about embarrassin' stuff!)
West Vancouver, BC
Fran Jones [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SportSound Music: http://www.geocities.com/franinvancouver
Phone: 604-926-0084 Fax: 604-926-9543