From: Mary Shaver [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2003 10:10 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Tennessee Police

It appears this whole situation was the culmination of a series of
misunderstandings that ended in tragedy.  I am not going to either
defend or accuse the officer, but let me just say, things are different
here in the south.  Many, many of our more rural counties have no
"animal control" agency  - their animal control is limited to calling
the sheriff out when there is an animal problem, like an unwanted stray
in the yard, and the "normal" response to such a complaint is for the
sheriff to shoot the offending animal.  If it turns out that the animal
was someone's pet, oh, well...

My point is, law enforcement officers here in the south have probably
all been involved in this type of thing, so this particular officer may
have not even given it a second thought.  Is it right? No.  Is it
progressive? No.  But given the mind-set here, I can certainly see how
easily it could have happened.

Mary and the girls, Laurel and Bailey
Fayetteville, GA