Hi Fred and Helen,
My eight year old girl Lily was diagnosed with eosinophilic gastroenteritis
after a bout of e-coli plus 3 following a raw chicken back (no flames here
I was trying a BARF thing and learned very quickly that a dog suffering
from immune mediated disease does not need raw chicken in their diet) We
got the brakes on the diarrhea with 100mgs of Prednisone daily and reduced
to 50mgs and slowly weaned off. Lily had endoscopic examination of her
stomach and duodenum and samples taken for pathology. Early cell change was
noted. This disease progresses steadily reducing the body's ability to
absorb nutrients and the dog will lose condition. We stabilised Lily for
awhile and her alarmingly low albumin levels picked up  but they plummeted
down again and we put her on 25mg Prednisone daily for a week and then went
every other day but she was not able to manage being dosed every other day.

She had never been a Berner to eat socks or towels etc but just lately she
started and had also taken to gulping snow down despite having water
constantly available to her.

The progression of this disease varies with each patient but it cannot be
cured. Palliative care works best, when they are on Prednisone you cannot
use Metacam or other anti-inflammatories so if you have other treatments
for other conditions you should check with your veterinarian.

Watch your dog closely for eating socks etc, I think Lily's internal
"soreness" prompted her new habit.

Rose