At 12:01 AM 01/02/2003 -0600, you wrote:
> Hi Everyone-  I have an 8 mo old Berner who is quite smart.  We would like
> start training him for agility.  Have found a trainer who gives an 8 week
> course for this. My question is this- is he too young to start training
for
> this?  I wouldn't want to do anything to harm him - I know he has alot of
> growing to do and wouldn't want to jeopardize his hips or legs. Anyone
have
> any advice for me?  Love listening to all of your suggestions and advice
> everyday. I've learned sooo much.  Thanks again for any help you can give
me.
>  Denise & "Deuce"

I've just started my 4.5 month pup in agility classes (though she's a belgian tervuren, not a berner, there is a St Bernard in the class). There is no jumping. There is a lot of attention work in the first eight week session. Then there's obstacle familiarisation which builds awareness of the dog's legs and what he's doing with them e.g. walking through a ladder on the ground, walking along a plank raised one brick high off the ground, tunnels and tyres placed at floor level. It's fun for the dogs and builds confidence and a good relationship with the handler. I would recommend it to anyone.
Boris (my Berner) will be 5 in June and I enrolled him in the beginners class last year. The first session he was doing identical exercises to the puppies in the puppy class. The second class built up jumping very gradually. In fact, I think that even then the jumping was more like walking over a 10" high pole. Two more classes later and he will now jump 16" if he's feeling inspired and it's unlikely I will ask him to jump any higher than that. The main thing for me is that he is enjoying it. He adores all contact obstacles (Oh, how I wish my others did!). Imagine a 110 lb berner thundering over a dogwalk, drool flying out of his mouth in anticipation of the treat he earns for hitting and waiting at the end of the yellow contact zone. It makes me smile just thinking about it.
I say "go for it". Just don't do any jumping with Deuce until he is at least a year old (some trainers even say 18 months for a large dog and may even ask for written agreement from a vet if the dog is younger). Don't try to do too much too soon, some people that I've taken classes with have got frustrated that they are not running a full blown course by the end of the 8 weeks. Take your time and build everything up gradually, but above all - Enjoy it.! I do, and so do my dogs!

Wendy, Boris, Tanja AADC and Tyra

Boris Beard
Ottawa, Canada
http://members.rogers.com/bernerboris/bernerbooks.html