Vilma--
While I wholeheartedly agree that we need to give rescues every chance, I'd
like to point out that sometimes dogs come into rescue for a good reason.
One thing rescue groups for Berners will have to consider as this breed
grows more popular and begin suffering even more from health and temperament
issues due to poor breeding choices on top of trouble spots already existing
in our breed is when to say no, or when to euthanize.

Remember, aggressive dogs are a great liability risk for the club. A placed
dog which bites and injuries a new family member or friend visiting can
rebound on the club resources legally. I guess I am concerned about this due
to my own work with Pyr rescue, and even Newf rescue. I've had one foster
dog from each breed which had to be euthanized due to aggression issues. It
was heartbreaking but the only right choice for the dog, the club, and any
potential family.

Currently, Berners enjoy high placement status and even problematic dogs
have good homes waiting; Newfs are not in quite as much demand but are quite
easy to place. Pyrs do not enjoy popular demand and my small club often
resorts to newspaper adverts to try and generate potential homes; we have
about 25 dogs a year come through the club, and it seems like about 1 in 25
needs to be euthanized for aggression issues. Given how poorly bred,
trained, socialized, and managed the rescue dogs often are, this does not
seem like a terrible statistic to me. This year, our club had a nightmare
litter be sold through a pet store in the area. Something like four or five
Pyrs were turned into rescue (or attempted to be turned in) due to multiple
bite incidents. They were littermates from a Dakota puppy farm; by the third
one, we were just telling the family's we were sorry, it was not their
fault, and to take the dog to the vet for euthanasia.

I do think it is in the best interests of the dog and club for the dog to be
fostered by someone knowledgeable, but, please keep in mind sometimes there
really is only one real option for the sake of the dogs and the people
involved. More than one foster caretaker in my club has had a hospital trip
due to an aggressive foster dog--one of our club co-chairs was very
seriously injured and hospitalized while making an in-home visit for a
potential rescue turn-in.

Wow, I sound really pessimistic, don't I? I think that is in part because I
believe Berners have a little less resilience in terms of being poorly bred,
badly socialized, etc. than Pyrs. I think as fanciers we need to really put
some thought into where we will draw the behavior problem line and why.

Best luck with your rescue dog.

Eileen Morgan
The Mare's Nest
http://www.enter.net/~edlehman