>from Lisa's email's subject line: Be suspicious of newspaper ads
selling dogs

Lisa makes an excellent point, but it's misstated. She should have said
just "Be suspicious." It doesn't matter where anyone advertises, there
are scrupulous and unscrupulous breeders (and buyers) all over. Some
advertise in the newspaper, some in the dog magazines, some on the
internet, some are BMDCA members, some are Berner-L members. Some broker
dogs, some sell at auctions, some sell to pet shops. The unscrupulous
will use any means to help make a profit and sell a puppy, they would
never limit themselves just to newspaper ads. The challenge that many of
us have been working hard with is to help educate the caring buyer about
how to better identify the caring seller.

I think we have done a great deal in the creation and dissemination of
resources: information packets, educational materials, counter newspaper
advertisements, posters, baseball cards, the lobbying efforts, the BMDCA
education committee, the BMDCA public relations committee, you name it!
I think it's becoming more difficult for sellers to churn out litters
and sell them for high prices. I think we've been making a difference.

We still have a long way to go, but look at how far we've come already!

Pat Long, (& Luther)
Berwyn PA