----- Original Message -----
From: "Rose Tierney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Hi Nancy,
> I find it interesting that DARK skin in dogs is more prone to melanoma
> whereas it appears fair skinned people are more prone. Grey horses are
very
> prone to melanoma when they lack black skin and only have silver or pink
> skin.

Actually, all grey horses, including those with black skin, are ridiculously
prone to melanoma. About 80% of grey horses have melanomas, in fact. Mine
has one in her lip and about half a dozen on her tail/dock area (all are
each about the size of a pea). I used to swear I wouldn't have a grey for
that reason, but, well, no good horses are a bad color, right?  And more
info you didn't really care about . . .most "greys" with pink skin are not
genetically grey (although they are grey in color); they are the combination
of chestnut and a strong dilute or cream gene.

That said, how interesting all this variety in issues is. I know too much
white as an overlay can cause problems in some breeds--deafness, etc. And in
horses an overo paint horse which comes out all white has a genetic defect
called 'lethal white' and a zero chance of surviving.

Eileen Morgan
The Mare's Nest
http://www.enter.net/~edlehman

---