Things I've noticed over the years when adding a dog:
1) First dog can become jealous and I find spending more time with the
first dog helps any insecurities
2) Puppies learn from the first dog so be prepared for bad habits to
possibly be passed on.
3) Other than basic training I have always let the puppy bond with the
older dog and as for my Berners when they reach a certain age they seem
to have not just a good relationship with other dogs but with people as
well.
4) Be prepared to take the puppy by itself on outings since it must also
learn to be alone as well as with another dog. Being alone for some dogs
is traumatic and puppies need to learn they will be ok
5) If crate training crate the puppy next to the older dog so that it can
see it will be all right. Eventually have the pup crated alone
6) Allow hierarchy to be set by the dogs without intervening. Most dogs
communicate with each other without serious confrontation. Allow the
older dog to discipline the puppy to set itself up as alpha. If you stop
them then as the pup gets older and bigger it may challenge the older dog
and the result may be serious.
7) The closer in age the more close the bonding will be between the 2
dogs. The more likely they will be to play with each other.
8) Puppies need to know they can not steal food from the older dog.
9) It's easier bringing in a puppy with an older dog than bringing in
another older dog.
10) While cost can be more, the rewards can also be more.
11)You lap will always have someone in it :)

Years ago there was a great post about sleeping with multiple dogs.
Perhaps Pat Long can find that great post in the archives and share it
again.

Susan Ablon
Gweebarra BMD
Balch Springs, Tx