nothing new here, but I like the way he says it.  This is
from an interview with a writer named Jonathan Carroll:

RT: Speaking of Petals, why do dogs figure so prominently in your works,
particularly as figures of pathos? They seem to be bridge characters,
conduits for fabulism...
JC: ...the letters from there to here. People always ask, what's this dog
thing? And I always say, dogs are like minor angels. They love you purely.
They forgive you purely. They're happy to see you. You can wake a dog up at
three in the morning and say, hey let's play ball, and they'll say OKAY! My
wife won't do that. My son won't do that. My friends won't do that. Three
o'clock in the morning-let's go get pizza! OKAY! We overlook these
extraordinary qualities even though we wish they would manifest themselves
in people. I always have bull terriers because they're funny and they're
ugly. That's what I love about them. They look like little pigs walking
around. They kind of sober you up and straighten you out when you're blue
or you're angry. You look at this little pal sitting under your feet
saying, Hey! Let's go out! And you say, Okay, let's go out. They remind you
of reality. All I've done is ratcheted that up a little, so you have
magical dogs. I like the idea that we're constantly surrounded by things
that are angelic and supernatural-but we put them in this convenient, sort
of degraded place because that's easier for us.
RT: Biologists have been looking at dogs, at those qualities as
evolutionary traits. The wolves that happened to come closest to the
campfire got hooked in-
JC: Right. It reminds me of James Michener's book The Source-there's a
wonderful section about the first dog ever to be friendly with man-or that
scene in Dances With Wolves where the wolf circles him for days, then takes
the food out of his hands. I think there is a wonderful symbiosis between
dogs and men, unless you're a monster and mistreat them. You serve each
other's needs. I know my dog is a good friend of mine.

Vilma Briggs (Kistner)
Mt. Gilead, OH
U-UD Mocha Java Slurp, UDX, HIC, TT
Ch. Brighteye Expresso Bean, UD, NDD, TT
U-CDX Our Little Buddy, UD, NA, TT
Thirdtym's A Charm, CGC
and Ted