Hi Cheryl,
I'm sure your friend has had enough criticism but in truth accidents can
and do happen.
Right now she needs to consider finding homes for the puppies and because
of the closeness of the breeding she should consider early spay/neuter.
There is no reason the puppies will be any different in appearance than
others but if the parents carry and share a genetic fault then these
puppies are at increased risk for actually having the fault rather than
just being a carrier. I am not familiar with the usual things that GSD
breeders check for but would assume hips and elbows are needing to be
xrayed and officially evaluated, the male she can do now and the female can
be done shortly after whelping. If both parents are dysplastic then she
needs to be very tough with herself and seek the guidance of an experienced
GSD breeder to evaluate the puppies and any that show obvious signs of
crippling dysplasia or other abnormalities need to have their futures
seriously considered.

If the parents are both registered for breeding then the litter can be
registered, if not then they are deemed non-purebred and she cannot expect
to ask the usual price for a GSD puppy. Hopefully both parents have good to
excellent temperaments as there are enough skittish GSDs about. Placement
of the puppies are going to be the hardest part because the world is full
of people looking for a cheap guard-dog, if she is not a breeder of
standing then she must seek help from her GSD community.

When experienced Berner breeders deliberately make close breedings to
evaluate their dogs they have to be prepared to sometimes make some very
tough decisions. This type of breeding is used to highlight good as well as
bad faults so that in the future a breeder can decide how often one would
want to see a certain dog in a pedigree. ie one would limit the appearance
of a PRA or SAS carrier and increase the presence of a dog with longevity
and the ability to pass on good hips and elbows and temperament.

If the pedigrees of her two dogs are reasonably diverse she might be lucky
but if they are very linebred and there is a risk element she may not be.
Either way this is not a planned pregnancy and the important thing is to
educate herself about raising a litter with optimum conditions, culling the
obviously defective and with early spay/neuter seek out some nice family
homes. Most important is for her to take her time when interviewing buyers
and making sure they are a good home for a GSD and it may take her more
than eight weeks:-)

All the best

Rose T.