Hi Nicole,

Some breeders will not ship pups. The breeder I chose wouldn't but I wanted
to meet her & see her animals (pups were 4 weeks old) in person which she
appreciated. So to make a long story short, I went to meet her, saw the pups
& the bitch, liked what I saw, liked the breeder, she liked me, & the rest
is history. I flew back to pick up the pup (then 8 weeks old & 14 lbs) &
brought her home in a Sherpa bag on American Airlines. It was an adventure!
She slept most of the way home (2 hr. flight) on the vacant seat next to me.
What a cutie! She is now 4 months old (45 lbs) & the light of my life! My
first Berner's breeder also required a personal interview.

I feel it is very important to meet the breeder face-to-face, see the pups &
bitch, (sire, too if possible) & then make an educated decision whether this
is a 'good fit.' All the breeders with whom I spoke also wanted to meet me
in person as well as complete a lengthy questionnaire regarding my
qualifications as a Berner owner. Most breeders are very selective & if
they're not, I would look elsewhere.

Have you already found a breeder willing to sell you a pup or are you still
looking? Your relationship with the breeder will hopefully be a long-lasting
one for the life of your Berner & it's really nice to have a personal
relationship with her/him rather than just via telephone or email.

Sharon Greenberg (St. Louis, MO)