Dear Kenny,
I also live in a townhouse and backyard isn't even
fenced.  We have put up a dog run but that is barely
sufficient.  My dog, Smokey, is now 11 months (closing
in on a year in just a few weeks) and he is pretty
well adjusted to the situation.  Something important
to consider is that you need to be really willing to
take your dog out no matter what.  I live in New
Jersey and this winter has been snowy, cold and
terrible.  Regardless smokey always, every single day
rain or shine gets at least one long walk and 1 hour
of off leash play time in a suitable place (often our
dog park--which is privately owned so has many fewer
of the problems of dog parks discussed previously).
It is just important to keep in mind that especially
when they are puppies, dogs need a good deal of
exercize.

Other than that, I think it sounds like BMD is your
kind of dog.  Smokey is pretty vocal but not a
constant barker.  He more barks to communicate (He has
a log of different "barks" he can make to say all
kinds of things).  This is a lot of fur, but I find
that regular brushing makes the furriness of the house
quite tolerable--but I do quite often find fur in my
food, etc.

Good luck with everything and drop a line so we know
how things are going--okay?

Radha (and Smokey)
Princeton, NJ