Weed Killer-Lymphoma Connection Found
Patt Wiegand, Newsletter Editor, HMBMD Club, Inc.

According to Sadhbh O’Neill of “Genetic Concern,”
Oncologists Hardell and Erikson of Sweden have found
a clear link between Round Up, the most common and
biggest selling herbicide, and lymphoma.  The study
was published in the March 15th 1999 Journal of
American Cancer Society.  The study was conducted in
Sweden from 1987 - 1990, finding that “exposure to
herbicides and fungicides resulted in significantly
increased risks for ...Lymphoma.“
According to the study, it is estimated that in 1998,
over 112,000 tons of Round Up was used world wide.
It goes on to say that 71% of genetically engineered
crops are designed to be resistant to this herbicide,
resulting in higher residues of these chemicals I
resulting food crops.
One ingredient of Round Up is Dioxin, one of the
most toxic chemicals known, according the EPA,
whom classifies it as a “serious public health threat ... rivaling
DDT.” With no safe levels reported.
(Sept. 1994 draft report)
The International Agency for research on Cancer
classifies it as a known carcinogen, Class 1!
Information on both Round Up and Dioxin can be
found at http://www.ejnet.org/dioxin/
and http://www.naturescountrystore.com/roundup/page8.htm
EPA reports on dioxin can be found at
http://cfpub1.epa.gov/ncea/cfm/dioxin/cfml

So what are our choices?  Many natural choices are available.
I choose to think of dandelions as free flowers I did not have to
buy or plant!  To me a lush green lawn is a bit creepy looking,
as I know the amount of chemicals it took to make it look that way.
The best defense against lawn weeds is grass!  Lots of seeding,
natural fertilizers and water, and many of the weed issues are gone.
Apple Cider Vinegar works, put it in a spray bottle full strength,
and go town.  For those pesky thistle guys in the lawn, place a
tablespoon of salt in the center!  This works for any weed that
grows in a cluster.  And just plain boiling water works on contact
for many leafy weeds.
These web sites were referred to me by a friend whom just had her
dog diagnosed with Lymphoma.  She is avid in her quest to
find out about the disease, resulting in this information.  I hope we
can benefit from her energies and diligence, perhaps sparing some
of us from her heartache.
Patt Wiegand, HMBMD Club, Inc., newsletter editor.
(and Griffin, Giffin of Vines, Am/Can CD, CDX, TT, GDC, TV, whom died of
epithelieltropic lymphosarcoma at age 7)