Kenny

Thanks for opening up this valuable conversation with your question about the cost of
keeping a Berner - healthy or not.It's the kind of issue that once you has fallen in
love with a dog (or person, horse or car)most of us don't necessarily care to examine.
I would encourage any prospective puppy owner to visit the Drs. Foster & Smith website
& read "Cost of A Dog".

 http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1671&articleid=1543

It's an enlightening article -there are far more expenses than you would think. Once
owned/loved by a Berner it feels like having a child and the thought of not doing
everything I could is painful to contemplate.  That's the kicker: to avoid finding
yourself in the position where you have to make a difficult choice to treat or not
treat a dog with an illness based on finances rather than the diagnosis, prognosis and
efficacy of a specific treatment.
The cost of veterinary care in the northeast & many urban areas is more than in other
parts of the country.  I try to keep about $2500.-3000. available for emergencies.For
some dogs I have used that fund - for others it was never touched. This is the way I
avoid making veterinary decisions on a financial basis. I have also chosen NOT to
treat dogs with life threatening illnesses because of their age (over 8) and the
quality of life they would enjoy and euthanize them instead. Joy is a big issue for
me: as companion dogs I feel they are here only because of our pleasure/stewardship
and my dogs must have sufficient joy or chance of joy in the near future.

Each owner must make this very personal decision & it involves not only the family
finances but ethical values, religious beliefs, education about a particular illness
(Thank you Pat Long and the berner-l community) and informed, sensitive veterinary
care.
Pet insurance is new and there are owners who are pleased and others who are
disappointed with what they purchased:another individual choice where there is not
much rock solid data.
There are no right or wrong choices - only ones that are made without sufficient
forethought & planning.

Read, read and read some more because once that gorgeous ball of affection and fluff
walks in your home you'll  not have lots of time to educate yourself! Thanks for
stimulating a good discussion and welcome to the Berner community.

Peace,
Linda Seaver & Belline
Bedford, New York