Hi Mark,
There is some contradiction in your post. While not believing in one thing
you go on in your next sentence that your rational is "type of food". Large
breed formulas are nearer to maintenance levels in protein and fat than
other puppy and growth formulas. I used to recommend feeding adult
maintenance and had shop assistants "educating" my owners and on more than
one occasion stepped in to stop the feeding of "rocket fuel" growth
formulas whose protein and fat levels were more suited to a cat's
metabolism!

Genetics will determine the outcome of health, wise management and good
feeding practices will enhance it. I don't think anyone is suggesting a
certain food will guarantee good joints but if you feed a high caloric food
into a puppy you will get problems.

Rose T.