from a post titled  Re: BERNER-L digest 4315
>>hi all ....... i have 2 berners, bailey 5 months and barnum 2 months....
and  my familty members think i am out of my mind... but had to have
them.........and i knew the resposiblity of having 2 berners would be a
circus .but would not change a thing.
<snip>dana - the ringleader, westwood, nj

Dear Dana-the ringleader,

Your post about your circus-at-home cracked me up!  Below are some things
I've learned over the years of raising multiple pups at the same time and
working with others with their dogs' behavior challenges.

First, I have a rule of thumb in equating puppy ages to human ages when
thinking about behavior expectations.  Prior to age 16 weeks these are not
AS applicable, but they are somewhat applicable.  My rule:  A pup's age in
months is equivalent to a human's age in years.  So your 5 month old
Bailey's playing with your 2 month old Barnum is akin to putting a 5 year
old human and 2 year old human together to play.  They are at different
developmental stages and "free play" will not necessarily be appropriate.
This statement from your e-mail is a good example: "bailey (5 mo) will be
sleeping a barnum (2 mo) runs from accross the room and pounces."

Suggestions in raising two pups at the same time.
1) Do a lot of supervised activities together.  Walks in places other than
their yard are especially nice.  They will both be "into" their dog
instincts (sniffing, exploring etc) and consequently they will both be doing
the same activity at their own developmental level without usually
interfering with the other's development.

2) Do a lot of single dog activities, primarily training-related, with only
one pup at a time.  It's fine to allow the others to watch.  I do this with
multiple puppies by crating those I'm not working with and singling out one
who comes up on a low table in the presence of the others to learn and
perform tricks.  Currently I'm working with puppies whose age range includes
a 7 month spread. There's a lot of competition for my attention so sometimes
sequestering is helpful.  At other times the pups are required to mill about
while only ONE gets up on the table.  We've not yet mastered that with the
most jealous ones of the group.:-)

I suspect you're spending a LOT of time with both puppies at the same time
which is challenging when their developmental stages are so far apart.
While techniques in developing self discipline  in both puppies may be
similar, their abilities to exercise self discipline are quite different at
their varied ages.  The two month old's attention span may be significantly
less than the 5 month old's.

As far as how to deal with skirmishes between puppies, I'm learning a lot
from a pup I've reared who is now a year old.  He's from a different family
than my other dogs and he is very dominating and aggressive....sort of an
obnoxious sort.  I have a higher level of expectation from him and he takes
a lot more self discipline training in order to be manageable.  I've changed
around things like how I set the puppies free after a time of confinement
and disallow his having a free-for-all in terrorizing the others.  He, for
instance, is required to stay behind during the initial burst of excitement
when I let the puppies outside after a nap.  I have him wait behind at the
door and I have him do a "sit" and "wait" to avoid his self indulgence in
pouncing on the others and biting them all on the neck in the fever of their
glee in being released outside.  At 13 months  I find him seeking to stay
behind to get that special time with me. :-)

I hope some of this is meaningful to you.

Good luck with your circus-at-home.  Your pups are fortunate to have a
ringleader who cares so much.

Ruth Reynolds
Pioneer Bernese
www.jersey.net/~mountaindog/rar