I have a professionally installed invisible (radio) fence that surrounds
my 2+ acre property.  I have trained both a berner puppy at 5 months to
the fence, as well as an adult berner.  I personally have not had any
problems, no "breakouts," and in fact, I still have many of the flags up
around the back and sides of my yard where the wire is located back in
the woods, and my dogs don't even wear their collars much of the time.
They seem to know where their boundary is, and evidently have little
interest in the wanderlust.  They will furiously chase the squirrels,
bunnies, deer and anything else that comes into the yard, but always
stop short of the boundary (in fact, I think the wildlife have cottened
to this as well, since I have seen the squirrels tormenting the dogs on
the other side of the wire!).

The caveat to the wire.  I live on a quiet street at the end of a cul de
sac.  We see very little traffic and what we do see is moving quite
slowly.  I live in a rural area far away from really busy streets.  My
dogs are essentially indoor dogs; I don't have a job outside the home,
so my dogs are rarely left on their own for extended periods of time.
Under these circumstances the radio fence has worked fine for me. The
biggest disadvantage is the radio fence does not protect your dog from
other animals entering your yard.  I have only had this happen a few
times where a stray or lost dog has come into the yard.  There has never
been a problem. The other big disadvantage - if you live in an area
where your dogs are at risk of being stolen, the radio fence is a big
invitation for this sort of criminal activity.

Hope this helps.  BTW, several breeders would not sell me a puppy
because of the invisible fence issue.

Mary and the girls, Laurel and Bailey
Fayetteville, GA