I have to say, I've read the Purdue study and certainly believe the scientific
evidence...I keep trying to theorize as to what the explanation might be regarding how
raised dishes make a difference. This info. might help people give credence to study
results that otherwise don't seem to make sense...
My older dog (2 1/2) eats from a raised dish (because that was what he was used to
when he came to me) and the 10 month old eats from the floor (because by then I had
read the Purdue study). They are closely related, from the same breeder. Both are
voracious eaters, and speed is a negative "bloat" factor.
Any guesses as to why the "floor dish" might be safer? I would have to assume it
somehow effects the amount of air being swallowed that might later produce gas...it
doesn't seem to slow down the rate of eating, at least in my house..
I can't remember if age was a controlled-for factor in the study??? I think more
older/senior dogs are fed from raised dishes, because of the assumed orthopedic
benefits, and since age is a bloat risk factor, it may cause a "false curve" in the
study if in fact age was not controlled for.
Inquiring minds are just curious about the reasons behind the data...

Anne

with Maddie (floor dish) and Titan (raised dish)
Hopefully never to be bloat study subjects, but they are a controlled pool...same
food, same family of dogs, etc.

P.S. I'm more inclined to pay attention to the caution about adding water to citric
acid-preserved food...I can see how a gas situation could arise from that!