After twenty years of involvement in the breed, I have formed opinions regarding what I feel should be "required" to become a conscientious breeder of Bernese. It is my hope that, especially, our fine breeders
will contribute to this thread.
Since just about anyone can become a dog breeder, I shall assume the inquirer wishes to, as a fancier, evolve in the direction of becoming a conscientious one. Unless you are well known in the Berner community or, perhaps, a devoted "dog person," deeply involved in raising, breeding and showing another breed, a Berner breeder of good reputation might not trust you, initially, with a potential show puppy.
Spend your initial years in the breed reading, studying pedigrees, attending local all breed shows and Bernese club related events. Too, with becoming a breeder in mind and to "get the total picture," you will want to attend shows, meetings, seminars and almost all National Specialties in the USA and Canada, at the very least. Also, plan to join both clubs. And, include Europe in your travels, particularly Switzerland. Only one of my four Berners, since 1983, would have been a "candidate" for breeding and Daphane's breeder, God bless her, decided that it would be best for me if Daphane did not become a Berner Mom. You see, a bitch's health can suffer in the process and Eileen did not think that I could bear it if anything happened to Daphane.
Lisa Allen