THANK YOU!!!!!!! This is just wonderful.  All of the
advise about cotton balls was right on the ball.
After writing the list, the answering service at my
vet's had a vet call me and I brought Smokey in.
After an X-ray and some examination it turns out that
smokey swallowed the bulb whole!!! That's right--it is
one of the those small vanity mirror bulbs and he just
swallowed it in tact (you can actually see it on the
X-Ray-- I have saved it and when I make a webpage I am
going to scan it in!).  Anyway, long story short, the
vet said to give him soft foods and cotton balls
soaked in cream--just in case there are a few
splinters.

For future reference to anyone else, the vet also said
that it is very, very important to go in right away if
a dog swallows glass.  The reason is the shards can
cause internal bleeding and serious damage to the
stomach and esophogus.  Cotton balls soaked in cream
or milk as well as soft, solid foods (like soaked
bread) can stave off the impact and should be given
immediately (which I did based on the list advise).
But if the bulb is only half crunched out surgery may
be necesarry as the pieces will be too large to pass
without injury.  If the bulb is mostly intact or
thoroughly crunched up it can be passed but the dog
must be watched.  This was quite the heart attack.  I
never imagined a dog would eat a lightbulb!! Why?
Well thank goodness it was whole so that surgery
wasn't necessary.  Smokey is uncomfortable (but more
from eating the cotton it seems than from the bulb).
And it seems like everything will be okay but I am to
watch his stools for the next few days and then take
him back.  If it doesn't pass, then we need surgery to
remove it but it looks to be a reasonable size and
shape that it will pass (what luck he chose that
lightbulb to eat and not a standard 60W bell-shaped
bulb).

>From the bottom of my heart thank you to everyone who
responded to me.  It really made a big difference both
to know what to do, to hear that this has happened
before, and to just keep me from panicking while I
waited for the vet to call back!!

Love to all,
Radha and a very guilty Smokey
Princeton, NJ