In a message dated 4/2/2003 1:38:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> An internist or board-certified small animal practioner can help you with
>  this. Is there a medical problem causing the kidneys to disfunction or are
>  they the originating problem.

Good advice. It also is signifigant just HOW high the creatinine levels are
and if they are worsening or remaning the same over time.

My wonderful  4 1/2  yr old Berner, Bean, has had a slightly elevated
creatinine level ever since I did his first screening bloodwork  2 1/2  yrs
ago. The upper limit of normal is 1.5 and his has always been in the 1.7 to
1.9 range, and stable. It has been checked 4 times, always in the same range,
and just rechecked last month.  I check every 6 mos or so. He does indeed
properly concentrate his urine (we checked the specific gravity of urine) and
his BUN (blood area nitrogen)  is always normal. So the vets say this is just
where he normally runs, I have gotten 3 opinions. The breeder, who is very
well informed,  doesnt know of any renal problems in his relatives. Made me
pretty nervous at first but he has always been totally fine. No one told him,
I guess!

Vilma Briggs, MD  (Kistner)
Mt. Gilead, OH
U-UD Mocha Java Slurp, UDX, HIC, TT
Ch. Brighteye Expresso Bean, UD, NDD, TT
U-CDX Our Little Buddy, UD, NA, TT
Thirdtym's A Charm, CGC
and now Brew/Bruin -- rescue/foster Berner