Here in the Catoctin Mountains, Spring has sprung.  The herds of deer are
regularly traipsing across our property, the birds are twittering, the
turkeys are gobbling and the deer ticks are multiplying.  Besides using
Frontline, it is time for the daily tick check.  When I call Buddy and
Daisy, saying "Tick Check" -- they line up at the bathroom door.  We have
found a gadget that looks like a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon with a slit in
the bowl that works great.

Human tick checks are also necessary since my husband Jack has already
gotten Lyme (which presented itself with the textbook target-like rash). I
must assume Lyme is the reason why Jack sheds his clothes so
enthusiastically. After several winsome poses, he stands while I check him
over for ticks.  So far I have been extremely lucky and have not gotten
Lyme.  I thought I'd share with you my daily (and much more modest) tick
check routine:

1) pour yourself a lovely mellow glass of Cabernet and take it with you into
the bathroom. Turn on all the lights.

2) remove clothes and stand in front of a full-length mirror.

3) promise yourself you will not scream that loudly again and crawl out from
behind the hamper.

4) turn the lights back on

5) go get the bottle of Cabernet.

6) think Freckle and carefully examine your body for "moving" freckles.
Remember, you will have a choice should you discover a deer tick: call your
mate or modestly rise to the challenge on your own. Concentrate on the
freckles and moles liberally scattered across your flesh.  Firmly ignore
whatever else you see.

7)If the tick is ambling along, grab him with a tissue and drop him in
alcohol.  If the tick is embedded, use tweezers or the measuring-spoon
gadget. A hand mirror will aid you in your search.

8) If the tick is embedded in a place you cannot access and you are home
alone and the closest neighbor is a complete idiot, simply call your doctor.
I have done this successfully but had to drink several cups of coffee and
wait an hour before driving. I have since removed #5.

Good luck!

Maria Crifasi
Home of Daisy and Buddy in the Catoctin Mountains