Wendy Beard asked "how have you attached your dog to the springer?"

The Springer thingamabob came with a 15" lead which is clipped to a light-weight harness (one strap that goes on as a collar, winds down behind the elbows and up again into a clasp). It attaches from the springer to the left side of the dog. I too thought it would be impossible for him to get around to the wrong side of the bike, but he did! I'm going to take Terry Thompson's advice and also keep a leash attached to his regular collar, which I will hold in my hand.

Liz Murray said "I was surprised to read about people attaching their dogs to their bikes. What
happens when the dogs bolt because they see a rabbit, squirrel or another dog?"

The Springer device was developed to overcome potential problems with a dog bolting for any reason. It attaches at a lower point on the bike than one would hold a leash, almost centered horizontally, and dips down another 12 inches or so, then curves back up with a large spring attachment. Should the dog jerk or bolt away, the low-set spring is supposed to absorb the pull, unlike being pulled over at the "top" of the bike. And if the dog REALLY bolts, there's a break-away tab that is supposed to break before the tug is strong enough to pull over the bike.

I wouldn't be doing this with a dog I didn't trust pretty completely. He's extremely reliable and has always responded to my "leave it" and "come" commands. On the two times we've been out testing this, we've had a couple of neighborhood dogs come bounding up to play and Major has been rock solid. I deal with the same problems when I'm doing draft work with my dogs -- they're more vulnerable and I'm prepared to protect them.

And thanks for the heads-up, Rose, about overdoing it, heat, and damaging his paws on paved roads. Fortunately, we live high up in the Rocky Mountains, where it's pretty dang cold early in the morning and late evenings when I plan on biking with him. Berners are a good match for me, as I hate the heat as much a they do! Major seems to really enjoy these slow-paced trots around our isolated rural subdivision on a dirt path. His main exercise is running off-lead during our daily 2- to 3-mile walk in a safe country area -- this is just a little something extra, maybe a mile only two or three times a week. And if the Springer isn't as safe as advertised, we won't be doing it at all.

Karen, my two pant more than other breed dogs that we've had, particularly my boy. He's funny -- he could be lying on a cool floor in a cool house, sphynx-like, head up and EYES CLOSED in perfect relaxation (even asleep!), and he's panting. I think it's mainly a boy Berner thing, from what I've seen.

Ah, I love Sandie Hawkins' comment, "This is a different situation from a dog that is anxious
to have a treat and the saliva flows in anticipation of food." Mine don't "drool," they SALIVATE! Major does have a tendency to get kind of foamy sometimes in his exuberant joyfulness on our daily romp. A woman came up behind me last week and stated that my dog had slimed her Cocker Spaniel on the top of her head -- guess she didn't understand my big happy boy's clumsy courting techniques! He simply found her little girl quite attractive, although a little on the short side. I apologized and smilingly wiped it off and onto my pants. Boys!

Vicky Whitney in Bozeman, Montana