I also have an Outback , which can hold 3 70lb dogs in the back :-). We got
the 3 dogs in the back , the crate on the roof rack , and the human kid in
the back seat , two adults PLUS food and other sundries in the other
backseat over Easter weekend ! For a two hour trip.
Usually , I let the two berners have the back and the older golden x have
the second backseat for trips of any kind. But they fit and that roof rack
comes in handy !!! I think you can manage nicely with it until finances
allow you to afford a van or other SUV :-))). I'm looking at something
larger for next time around so I can fit a crate or two in the back set up ,
and have air conditioning for the back area as well. Good luck !!!
Laurie Montoya and the "cram it" gang