My most recent puppy housetraining experience was in keeping with the generally held
belief that puppies usually seem to "get it" (i.e., learn to "hold it")sometime
between 16-20 weeks. Up till then, it seems that the puppy parent is the one who's
"trained"...The pups are very good at peeing on command and understand that that's a
good thing (they get treats, praise, etc.)...but they don't have the mental grasp to
realize that peeing in the house/not on command is NOT a good thing. I guess that
realization comes with mental/physical maturity.
Although, before that, they must have the ability (physically) to "hold it," as most
won't piddle in their crates...
It's essentially the same as potty training a human baby...if/when they're ready, it
clicks. Before that, it's mostly mom and dad who are "trained" to get the toddler to
the toilet frequently.
So, usually, for the first 8 to 12 weeks after the pup comes home, accidents happen.
My goal was to accomplish housetraining on one gallon of Nature's Miracle. I just made
it.
Anne
with Maddie and Titan
Cranford, NJ

P.S. In addition to the Nature's Miracle, it's also a good idea to invest in a nice
pair of pj's, so when you're dancing around the yard in the middle of the night or
early morning, the neighbors won't laugh.