> But as a pet owner, what does this information mean to me? In the
> absence of symptoms, what guidelines should I use to determine how to
> limit (or increase) her activities based on the OFA ratings? Should I
> use these ratings to decide the necessity of supplimenting her diet
> with glucosamine?

Hi Rita-

I have had a severly displastic Berner boy and now have a BARC rescue, a 2
year old female.  I had her hips and elbows xrayed 2 weeks ago, for both OFA
and PennHip evaluations.  She is small, 70 lbs, runs like the wind, jumps
like a kangaroo, does agility training, and is highly active.  I haven't
received her OFA findings, but her PennHip score is in the 10th percentile.
This means that compared to all other Bernese Mountain Dogs, 90% of them
have hips better than hers.

What does this mean to me?  Hip dysplasia is interesting.  A dog can have
"bad"  hips and never show a symptom, or can have better hips and show
symptoms.  (limping, struggling to rise, sitting down to rest while playing
or on long walks.)    I prefer to know what I am dealing with, so had my
Halley xrayed for my own knowlege.  I know that I will need to keep her
lean, give her plenty of free running exercise as opposed to leash walks.  I
supplement her food with Glucosamine, Chondroitin and vitamin C.   A dog
with "bad" hips will likely develop some arthitic changes in the joints as
they age.  Keeping the joints moving helps prevent those changes.  I like
free exercise, because the dog can run/walk/leap as they choose.

You don't need to use the OFA ratings to determine her activity level.  You
may need to add supplements to her diet, and watch her weight, but by
watching her, you will be able to determine her activity level.   After my
first Berner had 2 hip surgeries, my vet said, "you just need to let him be
a dog".   It was the best advice I could have gotten.

Good luck!
Janice Parky, Halley and her new little brother, who is still trying to find
a name!!!
Cape Cod, MA