There is one school - somewhere in the east but I cannot remember the name, where they are mapping the canine genome. However they are using boxers. Evidently there is an even smaller gene pool in boxers than in BMDs and certain breeders have such records of their lines that they were able to contact 40 owners and achieve their study group in a matter of weeks. The variations in these lines is so small that they feel they can determine the genome much as it was done in humans. Once they are able to map it, then they should be able to transfer the information to other breeds.

One thing I found interesting in visiting the lab in Seattle was that Heidi Parker told me that in several cases where dogs suffer from the same ailment as humans, diabetes for example, that when they have located the genetic marker on the human DNA, within months they are able to locate the genetic marker in the dogs. Usually it is in a position close to that on the human DNA. Therefore, by identifying markers in humans, it can be transferred to animals and vice versa. They are hoping to do this with various forms of cancer as well as other diseases.

Molly et al
Charlottesville, VA

I changed the subject line to include *OTHER* studies, as well.

What about any other studies that are not specifically for cancer, like tracing DNA?