Well, I guess I have to add to this discussion.  As many of you know I have
done early spay and neuter on several of my Bernese litters, 15 litters to
be exact with 61 early spay or neuters and  42 either intact or neutered
later.  I am currently writing a paper in regard to the differences and
experience with these litters related to the early spay and neuter.  I will
have photos at one year on all litters and three years on most litters.
They will all have been evaluated for hip and elbow dysplasia.

I can tell you that I have worked with the veterinarian from GDC, Dr Paulos,
and spoken many times with veterinarians from not only WSU (Washington State
University - Dr Stanclist actually recommends and promotes early spay and
neuter) but also Purdue, UC Davis, Ontario College of Vet Med, Veterinarian
Highschool in Denmark and several practitioners in both US and Canada.  The
only reluctance I have found is whether the pups are able to survive
surgery.  Bernese puppies are usually 13-18 lbs by the time they are 7-8
weeks of age.  I have had NO surgical or post surgical complications.  As a
matter of fact most of the puppies are so recovered by the time they return
home that same day you could never tell.  The only things I have seen in
some puppies post surgically (only a few not many) girls tend to be a bit
more sleepy and maybe a bit pukey but rarely and only for an hour or
so...then right back at it.  The boys can tend to be bothered by the suture
material and turn to bite at the incision but only for a day and then they
are fine.  I have also had the surgeon change the suture material to a
softer material and they don't even notice the incision (which in most cases
is very small).

So far I can't say that early spay and neuter has in any way affected the
orthopedic results of my dogs.  I have had the best litters orthropedically
with early spay and neuter dogs.  I have also had several intact dogs
exhibit the exact same affects and growth patterns as their siblings that
have been early spayed and neutered.  So there is no way to conclude that
early spay and neuter is better or worse for my dogs.  I might conclude that
my orthopedics are better but that may also be due to experience, better
breeding practices and better dogs...They certainly don't look too different
from each other...the boys do not develop as large of a penis as the intact
animals.  Have had some girls with leaking problems or UTI but have had
intact siblings with the same problems.

I can not recommend this procedure more...the benefits are so great that
they far out way the few risks for me.

PROS of Early Spay and Neuter
Puppies are under for 5 minutes for boys and 10 at the most for girls with
only isoflurane no injectables.

They recover within 1-3 minutes and are able to take a high calorie paste on
the roof of the mouth for quicker recovery and blood sugar.

Suture site heals in a matter of 3-5 days.

No recovery confinement.  Usually no swelling or maybe a slight bit.

The risk of losing a puppy to surgical complications is all mine as the
breeder.  No heart broken family.  Risk is also low.

Wards off several issues...have recovered retained testicles before further
complications, no adverse testosterone issues associated with prostrate,  no
risk of testicular cancer, no dealing with heat cycles, no unwanted litters,
reduced risk of mammary, no uterine cancer, etc...

Cost less.

Convenient to new owner.

Shows a conscientious effort to controlling the breeding population of
purebred dogs.

Requires breeder to become very good at choosing the right puppy to keep for
furthering their breeding program.

CONS of Early Spay and Neuter

You could loose a puppy in surgery.

Unknown longevity effects at this time.

Guess we all have our comfort levels of care.  One precaution that I prefer
to protect my dogs and breeding program with is early spay and neuter.  Have
been happy and relieve ever since making the first decision.  For those
interested in including their litters or puppies that have been early spayed
and neuter and their siblings please contact me directly at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sincerely,
Lisa Ebnet and the Furry Berner Crew in Ferndale, WA