-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Pat Long & Paul
Dangel
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 6:03 PM
To: 'Bernese Mountain Dog Mailing List'
Subject: AKC's Pet Healthcare Plan

While we're mentioning insurance plans, I thought this was worth a look.
        http://www.petpartnersinc.com/

They have a list of frequently asked questions, and the basics are:

Premier Plan, helps pay the cost of -an annual physical exam,
-veterinary exams due to illness or injury, -veterinary procedures and
surgery, -prescriptions, -diagnostic procedures and laboratory tests,
-X-rays, -hospitalization, -and other treatments as indicated in the
plan terms and conditions. Cost starts at $24/month.

Premier Plus Plan, helps pay the cost of everything covered in the
Premier Plan, PLUS -vaccinations, -boosters, -heartworm testing and
prevention medication, -flea treatments, -an annual dental cleaning, and
other preventive measures as indicated in the plan terms and conditions.
Cost starts at $41.50/month.

Coverage for all of the US, US territories, and Canada.

The deductible is $100 total for the plan period. This means that the
most you will pay in deductibles is $100 regardless of how many times
your pet is treated during the plan period.

Your co-payment is 20% of each covered claim up to the plan limit.

Dogs do not have to be AKC registered in order to be covered. Dogs under
the age of 9 are eligible to be covered. Pre-existing conditions are not
covered.

---------------------

I had heard somewhere that genetic conditions would not be covered, but
the only thing I've seen about it specifically is in the August 2003 Dog
World issue, in which they state:
        "... all breeds are eligible for full coverage, with no higher
fees for specific breeds, and no breed-specific hereditary conditions
are excluded."

When a dog is registered with the AKC, they will receive a free 60-day
policy. According to the AKC the first 30 days covers injury, and the
next 30 days covers both injury and illness, including diagnostic
procedures and laboratory tests.

I've always preferred not to carry insurance on my dogs, since I'm good
at saving and having money set aside for emergencies. If I use enough
vet services to have it pay for itself, then someone else is paying more
money than they needed to so that there is enough there for me. And if I
pay more for the insurance money than I get back in covered vet
expenses, well, then I'm paying more than I need to and someone else is
getting that money. It's a way of leveling risk for everyone, but the
insurance company makes money. So we're paying a premium to let someone
else save for us. I could never justify it for veterinary expenses. For
human health care - that's a whole other matter!

Pat Long (& Luther)
Berwyn PA