In a message dated 07/05/2003 5:21:35 AM Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< . One should NOT, I am told,  close the doors and windows in the case of a
tornado. This creates a pressure that can contribute to lifting the roof off
the house. >>

The most recent studies have shown that this is NOT true.  I too, was always
taught to leave the windows open at the southwest corner to equalize the
pressure inside and outside the house.  It turns out, it makes no difference and it
is just important that inhabitants of the house go to the lowest level away
from all doors, windows and outside walls, preferable under something.  Some
people have survived by crawling into their bathtub and pulling a mattress over
themselves.  Since I'm still up here in IL and in the vicinity of strong
storms, if the alarms sound, the dogs and I huddle in the hallway with all doors to
other rooms closed!

Anne Copeland (Flash CGC, TDIA, 9 yrs. old, Berner; Gypsy CGC, TDI, 2 yrs.
old, Cavalier)
Northern Illinois   [EMAIL PROTECTED], Corr. Sec. BMDCA