When I showed up with Chelsea at our first puppy class
(3.5 mos old), she was wearing her harness.  It's a
harness she wears in the car so she can be buckled in
to the seat belt, but you can also attach it to a leash
for walks.  The instructor said that when
walking/training her, a buckle collar is best, because
a harness basically allows the weight that the dog is
pulling (you!) to be evenly distributed over the front
part of its body frame, allowing the dog to pull
harder.  And I have to agree.  I notice that Chelsea
can pull like a horse with her harness on!  So walks
now are done with her wearing her buckle collar or
gentle leader.  In my opinion, stick with the buckle
collar.  Maybe the salesman at the pet store used the
word "harness" to mean a gentle leader or halti??

Cheers!
Alison & Chelsea (i LIKE wearing my harness mum! why
can't i wear it more often??)