My experiences in responding to newspaper ads in our Atlanta paper have
been mixed.  My ad read:  "Bernese Mountain Dog.  Looking for puppies?
Call us first. $1,000. xxx=xxxx.

When I have called the ad department, they want to charge me $208 to run
this ad for 4 days because I don't actually have pups for sale.
However, if I place the same ad from their on-line classified section, I
get charged $74.00 for 4 days.  The last time we had ads in the paper
and I responded with this counter ad, I only got 3 calls.  The puppy
miller ran his ad for 6 weeks before he evidently sold his four puppies
(at least one of which died of parvo).  His price came down by $100.00
every week.  He started at $1200. and by the time his last ad was run,
he was charging $600.

IMO, the best "bang for the buck" to reach PPO's is to advertise on the
commercial websites.  The most expensive ones are www.pets4you.com and
www.puppydogweb.com , which charge between $150 - 200pa.  I get roughly
30 inquiries per month from these sites alone.  Granted, you are
reaching a national, not a local audience, but if your clubs funds are
limited, this is a better investment.

Just my .02 cents...

Mary and the girls, Laurel and Bailey
Fayetteville, GA