Ordinarily, I would let two dogs work it out, but since Vinny is so small, I
didn't think that
> was a good idea.

***Then you probably did the right thing by separating them.  Listen to your
instincts--they are a gift, unique to you.  Use them!

> Any suggestions?  This my first experience with two
> dogs, so I'm trying to figure out how to work it so
> everyone is happy.

Rachel, There's more than one right answer to situations similar to yours.
Much depends on your dogs' personalities and how far they will "push the
envelope" and how well you assert yourself as the ultimate mediator in their
disputes.

I used to think that "let them work it out" was the best way to go.  After
spending time in the home of one of my puppy buyers who does not allow ANY
growling at all between her two neutered males, I came to appreciate that
the way SHE manages her household. Though different than my way, it works
for her.

I want my own dogs to learn about "give and take" with other dogs. It's an
essential part of survival here with new dogs coming in periodically and
visitors staying for overnight or overmonth! :-)  They must learn to assert
themselves, to back down, and to ALWAYS respect the humans above all.   For
us it's a part of living in a big family.

You must decide what's acceptable to you.  If you have doubts that you will
be large and in charge at all times, then you will not be in charge at all
times.  In such a case it might be a good idea to not interfere and to let
the dogs LEARN  HOW to work out their differences.  Without experience, they
will not learn.

However, if you expect NO growling ever and you feel you can enforce this at
all times, then by all means, more power to you!

Think about what you can commit to. Think about the passive or assertive or
aggressive natures of your two dogs.  Come to your own conclusions about how
is best to run your own household. And then just do it YOUR way.

Good luck with your new pup and Ringo.  I hope they will make the BEST
Berner team ever!

Ruth Reynolds
Pioneer Bernese
Greenwood, FL