Hi Jill ... I had one year old Porter vaccinated
against lepto in May due to the fact we live in a
rural area with a pond and a creek inhabited by the
lepto-carrying beaver.  After receiving the first
booster (lepto only - his annual vacc's aren't due til
August) he had an allergic reaction.  Hot, swollen
gums, ears, skin etc.  He was chewing at his feet
until they were bleeding.  It took 3+ weeks to get
over it (10 days on prednisone)... now, when taking
Porter & his GSD brother Kief (8 months) for runs thru
the fields (by the creek and pond) we leash them until
we've passed the creek and always carry fresh water
for them and a collapsible bowl.  The vet at the
company that manufactures the vaccine stated Porter's
reaction very common in Berners and believes that
Porter may have already been exposed to lepto and was
immune ... All is well now, and the drug manufacturer
is refunding all of our money including the cost of
the vaccine and all subsequent vet visits and
treatments.  This is just my experience with the
vaccine and although Porter's reaction is not
classified as severe, in my books anything that causes
that much distress to my dog is severe.

After discussions with my vet we have decided that my
dogs will receive annual vaccines (distemper, parvo,
etc.) and receives a rabies vaccine bi-annually.

Just my experience ...

=====
Jennifer Martyn
Conn, Ontario, Canada