Hi all,
I'm in a bit of dilemma.  I was in a car accident with
my '95 Subaru Legacy wagon last week.  I had one crate
that sat sideways in the very rear of the car.  If all
3 dogs went with me, one was in the crate and 2 were
loose in the folded down back seat.  With now having 3
big dogs (and one a potential show dog) and more dog
stuff to haul around, I'm in a quandry of trying to
decide what type of vehicle to get now (my car was
totalled by the insurance company).  I really want All
wheel drive (AWD) or 4 wheel drive for those nasty,
muddy show parking areas.

I'm currently looking at a used Subaru Outback b/c I
really liked my car and a Chevy Astro van.  Barkley's
breeder has a GMC Safari van (same as the Astro) and
just loves it.  It has over 100,000 miles and has only
been in the shop for maintenance stuff.  Hers has barn
doors in the back and rear air conditioning which
would be a huge bonus with the dogs in addition to
easily getting at least 3 good size crates in it.  I'm
trying to look down the road a bit as far as future
use of the vehicle.  The Astro vans are definitely
roomier than most other mini-vans and most others
don't have AWD as an option.  However according to
Consumer Reports and the Insurance Institute for
Highway Safety, the Astro/Safari have poor reliablity
and poor safety.  I'm also not sure that I want to try
a big minivan everyday (or a big SUV- which hubby has
so no point buying another, we would just trade cars).

The Outback of course has great reliablity and great
safety scores.  But it has the same interior space as
my other car, which was getting a bit and that was
without the eventual grooming table, generator, blow
dryer, etc.

Anyone have any experience with these cars (or others
to recommend?) or comments??

Thanks,
Andrea Stefanac
& Chance CD NDD CGC TT