Regarding the pup who barks in his crate in the early morning:
I would like to suggest that you remove the pup from the crate, and take him out quickly for a no-nonsense kind of potty trip. Then, put him in bed with you and cuddle him until he is sleepy again, or pull some bedding on the floor and lay down next to pup, perhaps offering him a toy first, in order for him to expend some energy in play. Of course, some of us are just early risers; I am generally awake at around 5AM or so and my dogs like to sleep until about 7AM!
Of course, I housetrain my pups and always have, in a matter more similar, I believe, to many of the Europeans. I hope that more folks will consider trying this; there is nothing quite like soft warm puppy breath on your face and hearing pup's contented sighs as he curls up next to you to fall asleep. Mine are never crated during this process but, rather, I sleep next to pup on the floor or wherever and when pup stirs, I am there to comfort pup and escort pup into the yard for pup to relieve himself. My dogs are allowed to sleep on the bed or couch, wherever they want once they are large enough. My sleeping nearly half century old body is always "planted" in the same general area. My dogs are crated in my vehicle, for our rides, etc. so they are not unused to being crated such as at a veterinary clinic, where this would be necessary.
Regarding breeding bitches, I think that one would want to evaluate each litter before a new one is bred. For example, most of Yoda's litter eventually succumbed to cancer and one to meningitis. Yoda's litter was VERY conscientiously planned and contained lovely representatives of the breed and Yoda was the love of my life, so to speak, my soulmate. His mother, to the best of my knowledge, died of cancer? and his father, to the best of my knowledge, at a young age to a kidney related problem?? For me, this would send up red flags (not saying absolutely do not do it) here and there and everywhere about repeating such a breeding (it was not repeated) or breeding any relatives. Given the breed's medical challenges, would this not be enough, by itself, to justify waiting until a litter has reached at least an age where OFA is do-able, to repeat a breeding, breed close relatives, that sort of thing? Since most Bernese, given their fragility, health-wise, would not last all that long "in the wilderness," should we not attach more human-type considerations to the breed's situation, which is, after all, created by man, as is the breed. I too read that constant breeding of a bitch actually might suit her better BUT we are not takling about wolves here but, rather, a breed whose problems might become catastrophic. Should not the bigger picture be taken into consideration? After all, "we" are doing what Nature would NEVER NEVER do; creating beings with fragilities that would never permit its long term survival in a natural environment and not just a few, but thousands upon thousands of such.
Regarding ANY of our many and respected better breeders breeding to merely supply the pet market with better dogs, I do see the logic but I can not support such an idea as it shows no respect, in my mind, for the bitch whose life is precious and whose very essence demands more consideration than that of being made to assume producer status. We should make cars to meet consumer demand; this should never apply to creating lives, which have birthrights due more consideration, a certain reverence, actually.
Lisa Allen