I am not at all offended by a different perspective on this topic, and
appreciate the chance to discuss the concerns and perhaps increase
understanding.

I do not typically train with a prong collar. Almost nine years ago when my
first berner was a large and strong adolescent, my trainer advocated a prong
collar but I declined and kept her (the dog, not the trainer :) on a buckle
collar. This worked well most of the time -- until she pulled me off my feet
on ice and I was bruised from one end to the other. That was enough of
that -- I could not risk having her get loose or a broken neck (mine). So I
got a prong collar and tried it on my various body parts -- much to my
surprise, it didn't hurt unless I gave a really vicious yank. Thus
reassured, I put it on Emma and being a smart girl, it took her about five
seconds to figure out that pulling was no longer a good plan. I used it for
a while and then went back to a buckle collar for leash walks.

Abra has not needed a prong collar and Maize has also never been in one
because they did not need it -- Emma did. I have a young berner now who may
well find herself in a prong collar -- for her own sake. I have done the
same kind of training with her as the two who have never used a prong collar
but she has a very different personality. She is a BUSY girl and forgets
about that whole collar/leash thing even when she is coughing and gagging
from the pressure on her trachea -- that does not seem necessary or kind.
Again, this is a puppy who has been well trained with clicker and other
positive reinforcement methods but she is just a lot of dog and self-control
is a challenge for her right now.

Any collar can hurt a dog. A prong collar, when used with kindness, has some
significant advantages over buckle collars and choke collars. It alleviates
the need for the owner to do any correction because the dog that pulls
corrects itself. Unlike what happens when the owner is frustrated and mad
and yanking on the leash when the dog is pulling on a buckle collar, the
prong collar is not emotional and not connected with the owner. Typically
you do not have the choking and gagging with a prong collar. When the dog is
not pulling, the prong collar rests comfortably on the dog's neck with no
pressure. And a prong collar is safer for the strong puller and her owner --
a loose dog can be lost or killed by a car and an owner with broken bones is
not very much fun. Some dogs just like to pull or cannot control themselves
quite enough to walk nicely, and all the positive reinforcement in the world
is not going to fix it because the motivation to pull is stronger than the
motivation offered to not pull. A prong collar simply offers a tool to shape
desired behavior. I do not believe that when used properly, dogs suffer with
prong collars -- and I have seen a lot of people use them on very happy
dogs.

Again, I do not routinely use prong collars and would not put one on a small
puppy and would try other methods first but with all that said, I also know
that they are not a painful, cruel torture device when used properly. Just
yesterday I spoke with a woman who won't take her berner to very many places
because she says that the dog is too strong and can pull her over. To me,
this is a perfect situation for a prong collar -- the dog will have a more
interesting and active life because the control the owner can obtain with a
prong collar will allow her to feel safe walking the dog.

I am not a fan of cruel training methods at all -- quite the opposite in
fact. But I do not see a prong collar as inherently cruel. Used incorrectly
of course it will hurt but the same can and should be said for all types of
collars. And I do not think it is very kind to have a pulling, strangled dog
either!

Mary-Ann Bowman
Utah
Emma, CDX, DD, retired
CH Abra CDX, TD, OA, OAJ, DD, CGC
Miss Maize, TD, CD, OA, OAJ, CGC, Therapy Dog :)
Halo deVil, TD -- The Wild Thing