While we're on the subject of SUV's, I also have a question for the group:

My partner and I recently purchased a new Lexus SUV for our Berner (one
couldn't expect him to ride around in the back of a sedan, now could one?).
Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions on how to safely transport our boy in
the open space behind the second row of seats:

- Use a gate/barrier behind the 2nd row of seats and let him roam back
there.
- Put the dog in a crate (metal or cloth) in the back of the SUV.
- Use a harness-type restraint system clipped to one of the interior
tie-down brackets in the rear, to give him some mobility, but not enough to
be thrown against the seats ahead of him.

I'm also open to other suggestions.  I'd like our puppy to be able to look
out the windows when we're driving, but I want to make sure he doesn't get
thrown up against something hard in the event of a crash.  I'm also
thinking a collapsible cloth crate would be useful when traveling.  We've
already purchases a collapsible dog ramp to help him climb in and out of
the SUV.

Thanks for your help,

- Alex, Steve and Jackson (5.5 months old, growing like a weed)