Barbara-

Thank you for sharing your experience and feelings with the list.  Having
once, not so long ago, been in your position, I am always interested in the
thoughts of people who are looking for a Berner and trying to be an educated
PPO.

I am not a breeder, so I can't comment on the "need to advertise", but I
think your initial feeling that puppies advertised in a newspaper,
especially with an out of state phone number are questionable.  Every one of
the reasons you stated that breeders gave you for lack of AKC papers,
orthopedic or eye clearances, etc. is a big red flag in my  book.  Thank you
for being turned off by a webshot of a chained puppy.  You have all the
right standards, you just need to find the right breeder for you.  Sometimes
it means leaving your own backyard.  Have you joined your local Breed Club?
That is a great place to start.  Most clubs have "fun matches" where
breeders may be more approachable than at a show.

As for the price issue.  What were the breeders asking for a price?  What do
you expect to pay for your Berner?  Please bear in mind that the cost of a
dog, whether a Berner or not is only the starting point.  My first Berner
had a few thousands of dollars in surgeries in his first 10 months!  If cost
is a consideration, than try to maximize your odds by really researching the
health and orthopedic history of any dog you consider. There are no
guarantees.  Medical expenses are not always associated with "inferior
breeding" they can happen in the best of breedings.  You need to find the
breeding that you are most comfortable with the odds.

>>  > But finally to my question.  Is this normal to see these things within
the
> breed?  Am I right in assuming that these are unscrupulous breeders?

Within all breeds, all businessmen, all tradesmen, all politicians, all
humans.

Janice Parky
Cape Cod, MA