The Third Annual Blue Ridge BMD Club's Picnic and Mountain
Hike will be THIS Saturday, September 13 (sorry for the late
notice), from ~ 11am until ???.  Come as early or stay as late as
you like.  Assuming we don't get rained on like in previous years,
we should be there until at least 3pm. Forecast is for partly cloudy
with only 10% chance of rain and a high of 75 - so should be
wonderful weather for us.
        The picnic will be on the Parkway near Blowing Rock and
Boone, NC - at the Price Park Picnic area at mile marker 296.4.
It's a beautiful area.  We plan to try to get the same spot we've
used in the past, which has a large open field (anyone want to
bring some carts?), several picnic tables, a stream with beach, and
is the starting point for a nice hiking trail.  The stream separates us
from the rest of the picnic area - you'll have to cross a little wooden
bridge to get to the area. Since it's first come, we may not be able
to get that spot, but if not, there's several other areas that are
nearly as nice.  We'll be heading up early Saturday morning to
stake our claim.
        Non- club-members are welcome, as are the dogs (even non-
berners).  Please bring your own lunch and drinks, and remember
water for the dogs, though there are restrooms where water can be
obtained.  Per Parkway regulations, all dogs must be on a 6 foot
leash or under physical restraint at all times (though that doesn't
seem to be enforced on the trails), and pet owners are responsible
for cleaning up after their pets, so bring baggies.
        For further information, contact me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Also, if you are thinking about coming and email me ahead of time,
I can give you a phone number where you can reach us at the
picnic grounds, in case you are having difficulties finding us.  We
look forward to seeing everyone!!

Melissa

So, now for directions:
        If coming from the east, take I-40 to US-421 and go north.
Stay on 421 (heading west) until you reach the Blue Ridge
Parkway - a little over 70 miles from I-40.  This entrance onto the
Parkway may be closed by construction - if so, stay on 421 until it
merges with 221, then follow that to the Parkway.  In either case,
take the Parkway south until you get to the picnic area - it'll be on
the right hand side.
        If coming from the west, take I-40 east to US-70 east.  Follow
this to US-221 north.  221 first crosses the Parkway at Linville
Falls.  You can get on the Parkway north there, or continue on 221
to join the Parkway near Grandfather Mountain.  Take the Parkway
north to the picnic area, which will be on the left from this direction.
        If coming from the south, take US-321 north (can be reached
from I-85 in Gastonia) through Hickory and up past Blowing Rock.
Just north of Blowing Rock, 321 crosses the Parkway.  Get on the
Parkway and head south until you come to the picnic area on the
right.
        If coming from the north, take I-77 to US-421, and follow the
directions from the east.