Quoting slimpy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

So it seems. Although GD was present in the 5.8 path it was ignored
altogether but works fine when copied to the 5.8.* path. Locale was
another directory that was missing in the 5.8.* path but I have no idea
if it got picked up from the 5.8 path. What kind of errors would be
expected if it weren't picked up?

As Dan pointed out, GD might not be something easily put into the build modules script. It may be that I'm wrong about the fallback to CPAN/5.8, in which case, adding that to @INC should help this case, but I'm not sure if it is the proper solution without knowing why it isn't already in there.
-k