* jth shaped the electrons to say...

OK - I can see the issue. I don't see a particularly good
workaround for my case that doesn't involve some extra
scanning. For my id3v1 + ape files (and also id3v2 and mixed
id3v1+2), the patch below seems to be working for me. I'm
not sure how many folks use id3v1 + mp3gain (I moved to
id3v2 + mp3gain about a year ago) but the impact of this
change might be pretty significant.

Ouch - yeah, that patch is not light in any way.

Can I suggest converting your id3v1 tags to v2?

-D
--
Do not panic, do not panic! We are trained professionals!
Now, stay calm. We are going around the leaf.