snarlydwarf Wrote:
> Yeah, just last week Sony sent me a PS3 because my PS2 is being phased
> out.  And Nissan sent me a new car, because the 2005 model is just,
> well, dated.
>
> It is very normal to have an upgrade path for software.  It often costs
> a substantial sum, though, but it is usually around.
>
> How many personal electronic -hardware- products do you get to upgrade
> at a discount?
>
> I have never seen, say, JVC offer a new car stereo because they came
> out with a line that added MP3 reading to the CD's...
>
> Do you really believe any business could survive giving away not only
> their software but also their hardware?

Did you ever buy a stereo component that suddenly stopped working with
CD's? Did you ever buy a car that, after you took it to the shop to
tune it up, suddenly didn't function with gas? My point is that they
upgraded the software without telling customers that it would render
their older devices effectively useless (unless you enjoy music
dropouts).

So the net is that SD should have either 1) notified users that if you
use a Squeezebox 1 (for example), DO NOT download this new version, or
2) tell users that they will no longer support the Squeezebox 1, or 3)
stop supporting an old piece of hardware but because they don't want to
piss of customers, give them an easy upgrade path. In the technology
space, this happens all the time...

--
dapnyc