snarlydwarf Wrote:
> Isn't that a Java issue?  Ie, Slimserver doesn't come with a java
> runtime: it relies on whatever you get from Sun or your OS vendor (on
> MacOS, Apple supplies it...)  I only see one download from Apple, so it
> sounds like Apple is running it in compatibility mode for now.

No, no. What is happening is that a) if you download the standalone
installer for SoftSqueeze 2.3 for OS X the INSTALLER program itself is
a PowerPC program, and b) the Java programs (like SoftSqueeze) can come
packaged with a (native) launcher to save you having to type a command
line to start it. These are very minor issues I admit but as a new
version is currently being developed it is now an opportune time to
address it. As a theoretical example of an issue that could make this
more of a problem, while the current Intel Macs are all 32bit
processors and do include Rosetta to emulate 32bit PowerPC code, it is
conceivable that the soon to be released Intel Core2Duo Macs which will
be 64bit processors, might not be able to emulate PowerPC code in the
same way (since then it would be a 64bit Intel chip trying to emulate a
32bit PowerPC chip).

By the way, Apple do include a full native Java Runtime (and Apple are
now providing JRE 1.5 aka. 5.0).

--
jelockwood